Monday, June 13, 2011

I just like the way Elder Harris laughs!

Damp!
I have spent most of this week in a sweater… its sort of cold here. It is not the typical kind of cold that you would normally think of.  It’s the really thick, wet air cold that chills the bones. I kind of like it because it is a little bit better that the extreme hot that I usually have been feeling. I am sorry about the crazy basement problems… I really do wish that I could have been there to help you all out.  I just hope and pray that the rain passes so that you can get some real rest. It is summer time, so the girls are on vacation. I am just happy that they are there to help you both out.  
I had a pretty neat experience this week that maybe I can share with you to make you feel a lot happier.  We have a new family that we are teaching called the family Valencia. They are really great.  It is going to be super hard to teach them because they all aren’t progressing at the same rate. There is the dad named Manuel and his wife Pamela and their three kids which I don’t know their names yet. One of the daughters is progressing at about 100 miles an hour.  She reads and she came to church this week. The father is also progressing rapidly but still needs a ton of work. The Mom just likes to listen and one of the other daughters too.  Then we have the son that wants nothing to do with us.  As the story goes we were teaching this family and we found out that he had lived in the United States for about 12 years.  He came back so that he could live with his family. The funny thing is that he wants to practice his English with me. I started talking to him quickly in English.  He looked at me like he knew what I was saying so I continued on in the lesson until I realized that he had no idea what I was saying. I started to laugh and they all looked at like I was totally crazy… including my companion. If you can imagine I am in the middle of a really important point about prophets and I just started laugh hysterically. It all went over well because about in the middle my laughing he, the father, Manuel joined in because he thought that I had said a joke. He didn’t want to show that he didn’t understand very well so he just laughed it up with me for about 2 minutes.  The best part of it all was that my companion knows a lot of English and he was following along nicely.  He turn over to me and looks at me strangely and in broken English says… ¨I don’t understand the joke¨ Manuel at this point wasn’t laughing very hard and heard my companion say what he said. He looked at me and then looked back to my companion.  He said in Spanish ¨I don’t understand either I just like the way Elder Harris laughs. We all then started to laugh hysterically. The Mom and the two daughters just sat there totally oblivious. After that it was really hard to bring the spirit back into the lesson so we made an appointment for the next day and told him that we would come back, pretty much super silly.
I like it here in Lima and I don’t like it here in Lima. I have been thinking about what we are going to do when you guys come...if you come. I came to two conclusions
1. If you don’t come I am totally ok with that. I don’t have a single problem. In my heart of hearts I have always wanted that RM home coming like a rock star coming off the plane.
2. If you do come the only thing that I want to do with you is go to Machu Pichu. It is one of the wonders of the world and it is an area that has a lot of tourists which is good because less people will want to rob from us. It is really not a good idea for three gringos to walk around in an area that is in the suburbs because well… ya not a good Idea. I want Aubrei to have an amazing wedding, so do everything that you can to make that possible. She comes first before me.
Picture one
This is one of the coolest pictures that I have. There was a conference and all three of my companions were there I had to get a picture.
Picture two
This is my companion and I at the Pacific Ocean crazy, lol (see top of page)
Picture three
yah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PIZZZZAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found my long lost love!!!!!
I love you all so much.  I miss you all. As of today I have 8 months in the mission. Crazy fast how time flies!

Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment