Tuesday, December 7, 2010

He knows where we are and what we are doing!

Hola mi Familia,

So Wow, I have only 7 days left and I am no longer in the CCM... I am in the field!!!!


I know that there must be a ton of questions that everyone has and I am sorry that I don’t answer them in this blog. Just know that I still love you.
I have a super cool experience to share with everyone. This past week we got to go out with the entire CCM to a part of the city of Lima and practice proselyting. My companion and I had been crazy with excitement because this is the first time that we have had the opportunity to teach to real people. So we all got on a bus and start heading out there and the first thing we were told was to hide all of our valuables because we were going to be in a ´scary´ neighborhood as my mom likes to call them. I was a little dismayed about that but as I got off the bus my heart filled again with excitement because I could see the hundreds of shoe box houses right in front of me, stacks and stacks and stacks of them. Soon after getting our assignments we went to an area called Palao. My companion and I headed out in search of our first investigator, and we decided, of course, to start with a prayer. After we prayed I noticed that we were right in front of a house and so naturally I knocked, not less than a few seconds later my first investigator ever... slammed the door in my face!! I laughed so hard it was ridiculous. It was a great way to start the morning. So then we moved on and on, house after house, just trying to convince someone to let us in and give them a message. This is the point where I gained a great respect for missionary work. We went just about half way through the day and had about 30 contacts and taught about 5 lessons. We were instructed that all the missionaries needed to meet together at the nearby LDS church. After eating lunch there we would have the opportunity to go back out for another 3 hours. This is where the story begins...30 minutes before lunch we approached a house and this little old lady who spoke super slow Spanish, who was missing all but three of her teeth, started talking to us. We spent about 20 min arguing with her and I knew that we were getting nowhere. Oh by the way everyone here is catholic, just so you all know. Anyway, so we left her and I felt like I had lost the spirit. The end of street that we were on had only about three more houses. My companion and I seemed to be in a fit of spiritual darkness; we walked right by the first house without even knocking on the door. We were about the start to walk by the next one when out the corner of my eye I see a little cartoon angel stuck to the window of this house. Then quite suddenly just like someone was talking right into my ear I heard in English, ´Elder Harris go back to that house and knock on the door.´ I seriously thought one of the other English missionaries were spying on us, so I turned my head around and there was no one there. I immediately stopped walking... grabbed my companion by the back of his shirt, and said in broken Spanish because of my extreme excitement ´this house right here!!! We are going here! I knocked on the door and this wonderful, middle aged woman came out, long story short she accepted us, loved all that we had to say. She took a Book of Mormon, promised to start to read it and to pray, and also we committed her to coming to church on Sunday. I am so grateful that I was given such a powerful message, my faith increased about ten fold. I know that the lord knows us individually. He knows where we are and what we are doing. He is watching over us and guides us in all that we do if we just ask. God wants all his children to repent and come unto him, and partake of everlasting life. I love this gospel and I know with all my heart that this is the true church, that it has been restored and that Joseph Smith was a true prophet and he, with the help of the lord, translated the Book of Mormon. I know that as we have questions in this life all the answers reside in the Book of Mormon. I love you all and will do my best to continue to write for the blog.

con amor Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment