Monday, January 2, 2012

Yet Another Challenge!


Well good news and bad news!
I can’t believe what has happened to me. I found out this last Monday after I sent off the letter to you that I had a change.
Well drum roll………….. IQUITOS!!!!
And crazier still is that the Lord has given me yet another challenge! I am now a Zone Leader. I feel a little strange but I have super strong desires to have a zone that is really good. I am a little upset however with my companion.  The Lord has placed me with a really frustrating companion. I just don’t know what I should do with him.  I guess that over time we are going to have to start to like each other but he is one of those guys that just thinks he is all that and a bag of potato chips. I think that the Lord is trying to teach me a lesson. The Lord gave to me, Elder Lucas, the most humble and hardworking man I have had yet on my mission, now he sends me with Elder Villegas. Hmmmm I think I am going to have a ton a problems. l I have been sent to the same zone that I was in when I was in Iquitos the last time, just now in a different area. My new area is called 28 de Julio and Castañas. I am going to have to work super hard because the majority of the people here just don’t come to church and or they just don’t care. AHHHHHHHHHH!!! Dang it!! Well I think that my next few months are going to be the hardest in my entire life.  I am pretty sure that you are going to get really sick of hearing about the same old sad and stressed out Elder Harris so…. I have decided that I am just going to write to you about all of the happy things that are happening.
So a happy thing that happened… I got to do a work visit in my old area this week. I helped the two missionaries in my zone that are in that area go and find a few of my old investigators. Hopefully that knowledge will help them to find new people to baptize. I am really looking forward to finding a few of my old converts that are there, so that I can see how they are all doing.  I kind of see this as a rare opportunity to help those people again to understand the importance of the gospel. I did find one of my converts this week whose name is Jhyner. He is doing really good, but has gotten a little bit lazy in the last 8 months. I want to try to help him to get back to church and get preparing for a mission. He was pretty excited to go on a mission before I left but he is getting a little bit sluggish with this determination. I think that is because he is the only person in his family that is a member.  So we need to help him to get back on the right track again. I feel really strange because a lot of my companions are ending their missions. I am starting to feel a little sad, I feel like my mission is flying by and I don’t want one single second to be wasted.  Well I am happy to be here in the jungle again. I like the food here a lot. It’s kind of fun to eat all of the fruit again. We have been eating a lot of a fruit called Camu Camu. It’s like pure pink lemonade and it’s really good. It looks just like a grape but it is pink, and is really sour. You have to add a lot of sugar so that it tastes really good. Don’t worry Mom I am brushing my teeth like a pro. I will be sending some great pictures for this next week. I have been working really hard and I haven’t had the chance to take any jungle picture yet. Here are some old ones from past areas.
Amor,   Elder Harris

IQUITOS!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey E. Harris I just found your blog here in the web because I was trying to remember some of the places where I have been during my mission in Iquitos!! Castañas was my area for 3 "cambios" hahaha it was really cool being there with all the people from la selva. I'm from Costa Rica and perhaps if you ask to somebody in the castañas Ward they will remember me. Enjoy always your mission and Peru!!

    ReplyDelete